Director, IT Research Solutions
Job posting number: #7195436
Posted: November 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
Responsible for providing strategic direction regarding Information Technology solutions in support of research, researchers, and grants. Coordinates with University Information Technology Services (UITS) units, Office Research, and individual researchers to develop strategies, plans, and develop IT portions of grant proposals. Coordinates UITS technology resources in the implementation and operations of IT research related infrastructure, services, and solutions.
1. Provides strategic leadership and direction for the use of technology to enable the acquisition of grants and completion of research.
2. Partners with UITS technology units to build and maintain technology solutions for research that are secure, appropriate, and sustainable.
3. Builds partnerships with office of research to build processes to support researchers¿ technology needs in the acquiring and execution of funded research.
4. Maintains an in-depth knowledge of NSF, NIH, DOE, and other granting agencies and the technology requirements for successfully obtaining and maintaining grants and helps educate others within the technology organization.
5. Contributes technical write ups, architectural details, and technology related processes to during grant proposal development.
6. Builds relationships with other research universities and granting agencies to structure research technology systems and processes to be efficient, secure, and compatible with what research granting agencies expect.
7. Builds and manages research-related technology relationships with vendors to maximize the benefits the institution receives from their products, services, and agreements.
8. Responsible for tracking research-related technology services and how they are funded and utilized.
9. Ensure that research related services offered by UITS are appropriately documented so that researchers have information about what technology services are available and how to best utilize them.
10. Responsible for developing and tracking research related IT cost estimates, expenditures, and multi-year budgetary plans for operations, maintenance renewals, projects, and components within institutional research projects.
11. Responsible for developing, tracking, and analyzing key performance metrics to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of research related IT services provided.
12. Plans, implements, directs, and monitors the integration of IT research services into the broader enterprise IT services portfolio.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technology or business field of study or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
Seven (7) years of related IT experience demonstrating a progression of increasing responsibility
Two (2) years of significant IT team lead or similar management experience
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technology or business field of study
Two (2) or more years working in higher education and/or supporting research functions
Experience supporting grant funded research
Experience writing grants or supporting documents for grants
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Demonstrated ability to quickly come up to speed on current with emerging technologies, technological trends, and industry best practices for the areas of responsibility.
Able to coordinate disparate vendors, technical resources, and functional resources to achieve project goals
Able to build relationships, elicit, understand, and address customer needs
Able to think both tactically and strategically
Able to function with autonomy, making sound and timely decisions as appropriate, and using good judgement to determine which decisions should be escalated
Able to anticipate problems and proactively develop appropriate solutions
Able to appropriately assess and communicate risks, benefits, and alternatives
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
Extensive knowledge of IT planning, operations, and lifecycle management
Demonstrated knowledge of granting agency (NSF, NIH, DOE, etc.) requirements
Must possess a high level of political acumen and strong leadership skills
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e., Microsoft Office suite)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to maintaining a fair and respectful environment for living, work and study. To that end, and in accordance with federal and state law, Board of Regents policy, and University policy, the University prohibits harassment of or discrimination against any person because of race, color, sex (including sexual harassment, pregnancy, and medical conditions related to pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity or national origin, religion, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran or military status by any member of the KSU Community on campus, in connection with a University program or activity, or in a manner that creates a hostile environment for members of the KSU community.
For additional information or to file a complaint under the provisions of this policy, students, employees, applicants for employment or admission or other third parties should contact the Office of Institutional Equity at English Building, Suite 202, [email protected], or by making a report here.