Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services
Job posting number: #7151390 (Ref:10021539)
Posted: June 1, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $54.67 - $91.30 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Office of Philanthropy Vision Statement
Philanthropy is at the heart of City of Hope’s mission in turning “hope into reality.” We offer an extraordinary donor and volunteer experience, one that invites, delights, and deepens relationships over time. City of Hope Philanthropy is one of a handful of premiere, exceptionally-regarded, and top-producing programs in the country.
Recruiting and developing exceptionally talented team members are hallmarks of the Office of Philanthropy. We demonstrate our commitment to our people through continuous learning and development opportunities and aim to foster an environment where each individual can thrive, personally and professionally. We increase the effectiveness of our team through transparency and accountability, building trust within teams; celebrating diversity and inclusion; enhancing team communications and removing roadblocks to maximize activation.
The Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services will contribute to this vision by participating in key processes and programs that sustain an office-wide focus on collaboration, efficiencies and metrics-based outcomes. Through individual contribution, the Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services will be a part of creating our evolution into a perpetually campaign-ready, donor-centered, leading industry program to support City of Hope’s mission. In pursuit of this outcome, we are committed to growing careers within the Office of Philanthropy to attract and retain the most talented professionals in the country, and excel as a highly collaborative, efficient and creative team.
The incumbent, having demonstrated leadership and success in the field, will execute strategies that support the shared vision of the Office of Philanthropy. This effort includes preparing our office for the rigors of a campaign, to realize our goal of excelling as a highly collaborative, efficient and creative team. The Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services will implement a cultural adherence to personal accountability, shared success and a commitment to professional growth.
The Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services manages the PSSP coordinator and navigation team, and assists with the oversight of high profile referrals by coordinating the support of special interest patients around their care and entire patient experience at City of Hope. Serves as the manager of the department and liaison between Development & and the Medical Center to facilitate seamless care for prospective and established patients to access medical services. Forms part of the Patient Special Services managerial Team.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Senior Director, Patient Liaison Special Services is the key contact for high profile patients. The Liaison interacts with Philanthropy ensure that these patients have a seamless patient interaction with City of Hope and is responsible for the oversight of the Grateful patient Program as it relates to referral to the Philanthropy Team.
- Stewards current donors and prospective donors with the intent to assess the interest of individuals who may desire to increase their financial commitment and engagement to City of Hope. This is accomplished by coordinating with key Major and Principal Gift Officers. As appropriate, facilitate an introduction to Gift Officers for fundraising follow-up for the grateful patient program.
- Serves as Manager for the Patient Services Navigation team to ensure that City of Hope’s major donors and leadership will receive quality care and coordination. Ensures that the PSSP patient process is formalized and communicated to all relevant staff throughout the organization.
- Performs initial interface with patients and families upon arrival for their appointments; welcomes and greets; and through 24/7 availability offers coordination of care and assistance during and between appointments on both outpatient and in-patient visits.
- Coordinates patient and family navigation for visits and works to ensure service excellence; preparing for appointments by ensuring that patient and families are informed, appointments are properly scheduled, and that clinic staff and physicians are advised of connection to PSSP.
- Interfaces with physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other key medical staff around patient care; coordinating referrals to Department of Supportive Care Medicine colleagues and services, as appropriate.
- Takes a lead role in the creation of structured systems such as an automated referral process and a specialized program tracking database. Develops and manages the tracking, metrics and reporting process for department activities to ensure the highest level of customer service throughout the patient’s entire experience at City of Hope.
- Provides continuous feedback to Philanthropy leadership with respect to the referred patients’ and their families’ overall experience at City of Hope, and provide metrics to show measurable success relative to the patient satisfaction as well as increased philanthropic interest. This information will be used to develop strategies with gift officers, as appropriate, to cultivate an interest in increasing financial support within City of Hope.
- Manages all functions of patient special services team members: Patient Services Navigator, dotted line to Cancer Information Resource Nurse.
- Provides coordination of high profile patient tours as requested.
- External Contacts: Position will have daily interaction with prospects, donors, and, all high profile patients.
- Attends Philanthropy and Supportive Care meetings as appropriate, and participates on committees as directed.
- Responsible for managing the allocation of departmental resources, including delegating tasks and assigning responsibilities.
Serve as a role model for the Office of Philanthropy. Includes:
- Act as spokesperson for City of Hope activities as requested.
- Participate in meetings, search committees, task forces, and other special projects.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with executive staff, donors, prospects, fundraisers and other City of Hope employees.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- B.A. Communications, Marketing or other related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 5-7 years of experience working in hospital/healthcare setting and interacting collaboratively with medical personnel such that provides significant working knowledge of hospital/healthcare practices and procedures with regards to delivery of care. Minimum 3 years supervisory experience within an area requiring strong exercise of customer service experience/skills.
- The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $54.67 - $91.30 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.