Baylor College of Medicine
Job posting number: #7147350 (Ref:16004-en_US)
Posted: May 26, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) was founded in 1996 under the leadership of Dr. Richard Gibbs and is a world leader in genomics. The fundamental interests of the HGSC are in advancing biology and genetics by improved genome technologies. As one of the three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, the HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work on the cutting-edge of genomic science in a state of the art institution. Today, the HGSC employs ~ 200 staff, and it occupies more than 36,000 square feet on the 14th, 15th, and 16th floors of the Margaret M. and Albert B. Alkek Building. The HGSC is located on the southwest edge of downtown Houston, the fourth largest city in the U.S., in the Texas Medical Center, the world's largest medical complex. The major activity of the HGSC is high-throughput DNA sequence generation and the accompanying analysis. The HGSC is also involved in developing the next generation of DNA sequencing and bioinformatics technologies that will allow greater scientific advances in the future.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Research Associate to join our Genome Sequencing Center. As a Research Associate, you will play a crucial role in our cutting-edge research projects focused on genome sequencing, analysis, and interpretation. You will work closely with a team of scientists and technicians, contributing to various aspects of genome sequencing and data analysis. This position offers an exciting opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art facility and contribute to groundbreaking discoveries in the field of genomics.
- Perform laboratory procedures related to genome sequencing, including DNA extraction, library preparation, and sequencing using advanced sequencing technologies.
- Conduct quality control checks on sequencing data, troubleshoot any technical issues, and ensure data integrity throughout the process.
- Collaborate with team members to design and optimize experimental protocols for genome sequencing and related workflows.
- Manage and maintain laboratory equipment, ensuring proper calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting as needed.
- Collect, organize, and analyze genomic data using various bioinformatics tools and software.
- Assist in the interpretation of genomic data and contribute to research publications and presentations.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in genome sequencing technologies and methodologies.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new techniques and protocols to improve the efficiency and accuracy of genome sequencing workflows.
- Maintain accurate and detailed laboratory notebooks, records, and databases.
- Follow strict laboratory safety protocols and ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.