Network Engineer 00345
Newport News, VA
Job posting number: #7092810
Posted: January 25, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionResponsible Employee
This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
If Designated Personnel, please paste statement
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest
If Statement of Economic Interest, please paste statement
Is this a restricted position subject to availability of funding?
If Restricted Position, please paste statement
Inspire and foster partnerships that focus on innovative solutions for ubiquitous access and use of information services to support educational and cultural opportunities that benefit the CNU community.
Purpose of the Position
This position will assist in maximizing the value derived from the University’s information systems by analyzing, designing, and implementing the University’s network infrastructure architecture, telecommunications, and campus television systems.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) and/or Competencies required and preferred
- Skills with administration, troubleshooting, and maintenance of wireless controllers, routers, next-gen firewalls, layer 2/3 switches, servers, virtual private network (VPN), and fiber-optics.
- Ability to provide high-level support to the University’s telecommunications and campus television systems.
- In-depth knowledge of current network security best practices and ongoing mitigation strategies.
- Ability to learn, research, and prove new and emerging networking concepts.
- Ability to establish standards and documented best practices within the team, to improve network security, sustainability, and to respond to audit findings.
- Proven ability to model professional integrity and behavior
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering or equivalent coursework, certifications, or experience that equates to a Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with infrastructure lifecycle management.
- Extensive experience with supporting wide area, local area, and wireless networks.
- Experience analyzing needs and providing infrastructure solutions, including budgetary estimates.
- Experience supporting medium to large projects, teams of employees, and multiple vendors simultaneously
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification Preferred
- Relevant industry certifications such as Cisco, Aruba, PaloAlto, SolarWinds, Extreme Networks, etc.
- Experience with infrastructure lifecycle management in an academic setting.
- Experience with internal and external (Auditor of Public Accounts) auditing.
- Experience with supporting on-campus and cloud data centers.
Salary Information Starting at $63,200, Commensurate with Education and Experience
Role Code 39112
Conditions of Employment
This is a classified position. New and returning classified employees are required to complete a 12-month probationary period;
This position includes Commonwealth of Virginia and CNU employee benefits;
Selected candidate must attend 3-day New Employee Orientation Program.
Posting Number PS623P
Number of Vacancies 1
Posting Date 01/24/2022
Closing Date 02/16/2022
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
CNU will only accept online applications through the jobs.cnu.edu website. Online applications must be received by midnight on the closing date indicated in a job announcement. Faxed, emailed, hand-delivered or mailed applications and attachments will NOT be accepted. Applicants are welcome to complete an online application by using computers located in the Office of Human Resources. Address: CNU North – 301 Hiden Boulevard, Suite 101, Newport News, VA 23606. Public computers are also available in nearby libraries and at the Virginia Employment Commission. Address: 600 Butler Farm Road, Hampton, VA 23666 (M-F 9am-4:30pm).
Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Card) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their application, in order to receive credit.
Applicant finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. After accepting employment, individuals are required to complete a USCIS Form I-9 (employment eligibility verification) and present documentation from the USCIS List of Acceptable Documents that establishes both their identity and employment authorization to work in the United States. The provided documents will be verified through the Department of Homeland Security E-Verify website.
CNU, an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), is fully committed to access and opportunity.