Secretary and Math Placement Assistant
Job posting number: #7076814 (Ref:BSUhttps://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/24542)
Posted: April 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Provide secretarial and clerical support to the department of Mathematical Sciences; assist the Placement Director and the Assessment Chair; serve as secretary to the Director of Undergraduate Programs; enable them to devote additional attention to their positions and special projects.
Job Function:Provide secretarial and clerical support to the department of Mathematical Sciences; assist the Placement Director and the Assessment Chair; serve as secretary to the Director of Undergraduate Programs; enable them to devote additional attention to their positions and special projects.
Minimum Education:Eighteen months of education or training beyond high school or equivalent.
Minimum Experience:Over one through three years of secretarial, clerical or related experience.
Preferred Experience:Customer service experience; supervisory experience; working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Banner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform receptionist duties for the department; includes screen calls; take messages; greet visitors; provide fax services; respond to inquiries; make referrals to appropriate offices and personnel; maintain accurate record of communication; sort mail received by the department; maintain periodicals library.
- Assist Placement Director; includes check prerequisites; assist students with trying to resolve improper enrollments; maintain accurate record of communication; proctor math placement testing during freshman orientation; create ALEKS reports as needed; send low GPA letters to students; utilize Banner to access student records to resolve placement and scheduling issues.
- Compose, type and edit a variety of written communications on behalf of the department; includes letters, emails, department's bi-annual newsletter, Facebook posts, department bulletin boards, Dean's honor list, posters and flyers.
- Supervise and train student assistants; includes coordinate student work schedule for reception desk duties and various work requests from faculty.
- Serve as secretary to the Director of Undergraduate Programs and Chair of Assessment; includes assist with preparing curriculum change packets; prepare reports; utilize Banner and Argos to provide information in regard to undergraduate students and programs.
- Provide assistance to the Chair by helping create, maintain, proofread and lay out the department newsletter; help gather information and write articles for the newsletter. Serve as backup to the Administrative Coordinator for making changes to departmental website; includes staying current with Sitecore training and making changes to website as requested.
- Assist the director of the BIG M Program: includes maintain Excel spreadsheet of program payments; receipt payments through CASH Net; correspond with parents of participants on behalf of the program; assist with preparing workshop materials.
- Assist the director of the Summer Math Enrichment Program; includes prepare and distribute 3300+ registration packets to Muncie schools superintendent's office; maintain list of registered participants; send confirmation letters; correspond with parents of the participants on behalf of the program; assist with preparing participant packets; assist with pick-up and drop-off as needed; coordinate distribution of refreshments during transition time.
- Assist with special events within the department; create and prepare programs, certificates, name tags, signs, etc.
- Maintain permission requests for various education courses; includes prepare appropriate permission forms.
- Reserve rooms and Computers on Wheels (COW) as requested; maintain list of rooms reserved for department events on an annual basis; reserve those rooms at the appropriate time.
- Maintain proper decorum; work effectively as a member of the office team: maintain a professional atmosphere in the department; including in the presence of both internal and external visitors.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Assist Chairperson in absence of Administrative Coordinator; includes follow-up on timely items.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.