Visiting Research Specialist
Job posting number: #7059293
Posted: August 13, 2019
Application Deadline: August 27, 2019
Job DescriptionVisiting Research Specialist Position-University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Biological Sciences
The Liang-Wei Gong Laboratory seeks a Visiting Research Specialist to conduct research by electrophysiology to obtain physiological basis for roles of transient receptor channels in neurons. The successful candidate should have capabilities in electrophysiology, such as extracellular recordings and/or whole-cell patch clamping recordings in brain slices or neurons in culture. A track record of training junior researchers is highly desirable. The successful candidate would conduct his/her own research and assist with the principal investigator’s research, while training other laboratory personnel in various techniques, experiments and the appropriate use of research equipment. The candidate would also perform data analysis and manage, document, and help with the dissemination of research activities for publication and outreach activities.
• Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences required, and Master’s degree or higher is preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years of laboratory research experience in physiology or neuroscience is required.
• Strong background in electrophysiology is required.
• Experience with immunohistochemistry is highly desirable.
• Successful candidate should be able to walk into the laboratory and be able start working without significant additional trainings in basic electrophysiology techniques.
• Perform research relevant to the assigned projects;
• Brain slice preparation or neuronal culture;
• Electrophysiological (extracellular and whole-cell patch clamping) recordings from in vitro brain slices or neurons in culture;
• Perform data analysis; coordinate, analyze, and document results for publication;
• Directly participate in writing papers and grants based on the experimental data;
• Train undergraduate and graduate students in research methods, use of equipment, record keeping, and laboratory database entry;
• Attend weekly group meetings and journal clubs.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=119214 by August 27, 2019.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon
acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the
Fair Credit Reporting Act